Tabernacle United Methodist Church in Greensboro NC is searching for a Youth Pastor/Director
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
BENEFITS: Per TUMC Personnel Policy
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work in concert with the Senior Pastor and staff to achieve the mission of TUMC which is “to equip disciples to go lead others to Christ.”
SUPERVISION: Reports to the Senior Pastor. The Staff Parish Relations Committee provides an annual evaluation of the Youth Pastor’s performance.
Organizational Relationship and Ministry Supervision:
- The Youth Pastor is accountable to the Senior Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee for ministry guidance.
- The Youth Pastor will collaborate with church staff and key lay leaders to integrate the youth ministry into the overall life of the church.
- At the direction of the Senior Pastor,
- Provides spiritual leadership and subject matter expertise to other staff members;
- Develops strategic guidance, project plans, and intermediate steps necessary to facilitate spiritual and numerical growth for TUMC.
- Networks with community and local churches to develop partnerships.
- The Youth Pastor will be responsible and subject to United Methodist doctrine, informed by the United Methodist local church policy as determined by the Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
Youth Ministry: (Primary)
- Works with ministry leaders to ensure they receive appropriate development and training, provides necessary support to leaders so that they can foster and nurture their volunteers, connects leaders throughout the church.
- Manages the youth ministry and directs the employees and volunteers dedicated to serving the various ministries for which the Youth Pastor carries primary responsibility.
- Strategic leadership of a comprehensive student ministry plan.
- Deliberately builds relationships with all our youth and their families.
- Leads and organizes effective youth programs implementing fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship, and evangelism, as well as ministry and mission opportunities.
- Maintains regular and appropriate communication with students, parents, and the church and community via church media (i.e., bulletin, website, etc.) and other avenues including social media.
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of the student ministries areas budget.
- Recruits, equips and shepherds volunteer youth counselors and Sunday School Teachers
- Demonstrates a willingness to practice incarnation ministry, meeting youth and young people where they are and connecting broadly in the community, and specifically in our local schools.
- At the direction of the Senior Pastor, and appropriate committees
- Participates in planning, implementation and review of worship services/activities.
- At the direction of the Senior Pastor,
- Develops effective communication methods to promote awareness of Bible Study opportunities at TUMC.
- Actively participates as a Bible Study leader/facilitator at TUMC.
Pastoral and Administrative:
- The Youth Pastor will assist the Senior Pastor with
- Visitations– hospitals, visitors, members – both active and inactive, shut-ins.
- The Youth Pastor will maintain scheduled office hours each week to be available to the Senior Pastor, committees, staff and TUMC membership.
- Attends and reports on assigned ministries at meetings of the Church Council;
- Attends weekly staff meetings;
- Assists with “walk-ins” from community
- The Youth Pastor will use social media and technology effectively and appropriately to enhance both youth and congregational ministry.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
The Youth Minister must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and/or comparable experience leading and serving in a congregation.
- Embraces the doctrine and teachings of the United Methodist Church/Wesleyan tradition.
- A vital, lively and joyful commitment to the Christian faith and the ability to model faithfully the core values of the congregation.
- A passionate desire to relate to youth and young people and help them form and nurture an authentic, meaningful and lasting faith as disciples.
- A creative, engaging and innovative spirit, grounded in scripture.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrates willingness to work cooperatively with others, to maintain a positive disposition, and to be flexible in solving problems.
To apply, send resume and letter of interest to:
Tabernacle United Methodist Church
5721 Methodist Road
Greensboro NC 27406
Phone – 336-674-2941