First United Methodist Church of Hendersonville, NC is seeking a Youth Ministry Assistant (part time staff position, 25 hours per week) to begin service on June 5, 2017. Hendersonville is a picturesque small town, just south of Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. We are a vibrant congregation with an abiding passion for missional engagement and a deep commitment to nurturing our youth as they develop a meaningful and lasting faith as disciples of Christ.
The Youth Ministry Assistant will work closely with our Director of Youth Ministry in all facets of our ministry to 6th – 12th graders:
- Sunday evening youth program (supper, games, worship, small groups)
- Sunday morning and mid-week small groups
- Monthly group outings
- Summer mission trips (domestic and international)
- Local service projects
- High school and middle school retreats
Our Sunday evening program averages 60-70 in attendance and routinely attracts youth from outside our church.
Our ideal candidate possesses:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and/or comparable experience in leading and serving within a congregation
- Experience working with adolescents (paid or volunteer)
- Highly developed relational skills with a passion for walking alongside youth in their faith journeys
- An understanding of and commitment to the theology and traditions of the United Methodist faith and the willingness to model the core values of our church
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to ensure timely and effective communications with parents and participants through weekly email blasts, newsletters, etc.
- Competency in the effective and appropriate use of social media and technology
- Organizational skills, as well as the willingness to take the initiative and accept accountability
- The ability to recruit, train and inspire volunteers
- A collaborative spirit to work as part of a ministry team
Due to the nature of youth ministry, office hours will be adjusted when retreats, mission trips and other special events are scheduled.
A background check and references are required.
Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter supporting their qualifications for the Youth Ministry Assistant position to Mary Casey, Chair of the Staff Parish Relations Committee, at email@example.com.