Etowah United Methodist Church in Etowah NC is searching for a Youth Pastor/Minister of Discipleship
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
BENEFITS: Per EUMC Personnel Policy
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work in concert with the Senior Pastor and staff to achieve the mission of EUMC, which is “to equip disciples to go lead others to Christ.”
SUPERVISION: Reports to the Senior Pastor. The Staff Parish Relations Committee provides an annual evaluation of the Youth Pastor/Minister of Discipleship performance.
The Minister/Director of Discipleship (hereafter referred to as “director”) sets the strategy for developing and leading a vibrant, comprehensive Christian Education program. Elements of such a program include, but are not limited to: Children, Youth and Young Adult Ministries, Spiritual Formation (Nurture), and Senior Care/Visitation.
1. Understand that as a member of the church staff you are often someone’s first impression of our church.
2. A Christ-centered life is essential for all staff members in being Christ to others.
1. The director demonstrates a Christ-centered approach to ministry and should have a clear sense of his/her Christian walk.
2. The director places a strong emphasis on cultivating relationships with laity in order to carry out the functions of this role. The director will serve as an advocate for all those in his/her care.
3. The director makes a strong commitment of time, energy, and creativity to our youth and children. He/she oversees and is responsible for the twice weekly (Wednesday and Sunday evenings) youth programs, Kids’ Club, Vacation Bible School/VBS, Confirmation, youth mission trips, as well as any newly created events with these age groups. Attention also is to be given to providing quality Christian Education to all age/ministry groups, including the Sunday School.
4. The director will connect education ministries to the church and the surrounding community.
5. The director will use effective means of communication to promote the EUMC Christian Education Ministries program to the church and community. These include but are not limited to: the church web site, church bulletins, roadside signage, bulletin boards, congregational presentations, Facebook, other social media outlets, and any other appropriate means at his/her disposal.
6. The director will guide and assist lay volunteers in securing appropriate curriculum materials and be active in teacher recruitment.
7. The director will participate in other activities as needed and directed by the Senior Pastor, the director’s immediate supervisor.
1. Some college experience is preferred, especially in the area of Christian Education.
2. Is a self-starter, who demonstrates high levels of initiative, motivation, and shares excitement.
3. Experience in United Methodist Christian Education principles and practice, especially in the direction of youth and children’s ministries also is preferred.
4. Sees children and youth ministries as an integral part of the church.
5. Shares an excitement and passion for making young Christian disciples.
6. Demonstrates openness, flexibility, and approachability in leadership style.
7. Exhibits a comfort level in pastoral/counseling roles; is adept in initiating and cultivating relationships with various age groups, staff, and volunteers.
8. Possesses good organization, communication, and time management skills with attention to detail and timely completion of assigned tasks.
9. Able to earn the trust and goodwill of others through word and action.
1. Conduct all business with integrity, confidentiality, and in a professional manner.
2. Be supportive of our church’s goals, mission, and programs.
3. Mesh well with church staff.
4. Be sensitive to needs and requests from church members and have a willingness to overcome obstacles and interruptions to achieve desired results.
5. Be flexible and gracious while pursuing excellence in a church environment.
The following skills are frequently utilized to great effect in the modern church. Applicant’s proficiency in any or all of these areas will be taken into account as a significant part of the hiring process. These attributes include:
- Strong technical ability relating to uploading of worship content, working with audio-visuals during worship, sound reinforcement, and web site updates/development.
- Demonstrates knowledge of modern worship (embracing both traditional and modern Christian music, along with secular songs appropriate for a worship setting), which focuses on the need for a user-friendly, spiritual environment.
- Understanding of CCLI license requirements and copyright laws for both audio and visual uses of songs/images in church worship
- Ease in securing a substitute in one’s absence.
- Sings and/or plays a musical instrument.
- Ability to help plan church activities around a common theme/metaphor.
- Knowledge of Contemporary Christian Music (i.e. what people are listening to and identifying with).
- Assistance with worship planning if/as needed.
- Relate well with a multi-generational congregation.
- Work well with the Music Director wherever job responsibilities fall under this area of church ministry.
Summary: A successful Minister of Discipleship at Etowah United Methodist Church will be a well-rounded, Christ-centered, dynamic individual, who is passionate about sharing Christ in creative, innovative ways with our church family.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Dr. David A. Cook, Jr. at email@example.com.