Oak Ridge UMC (Oak Ridge, NC) is seeking a Director of Children and Family Ministries
Reports To: Associate Pastor
Job Summary: The Director for Children and Family Ministries has responsibility for developing a comprehensive and vibrant Children and Family Ministry at ORUMC that teaches Christian discipleship and provides children the opportunity to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. These ministries seek to address the needs of children and their families. This includes a focus on ORUMC members and guests, as well as reaching out to the surrounding community. The success of this role is dependent upon working closely with other ORUMC program staff, chairpersons, and lay servants devoted to the various ministries at ORUMC.
- Manage Children’s Discipleship Hour Ministry curriculum to meet the evolving needs of ORUMC children and their families; train and support teachers and coordinate lesson plans and hands-on learning activities for children.
- Oversee the ORUMC Vacation Bible School, including recruiting and leading the lay Directors and a team of lay servants, orientation and training of all roles, and working alongside them to ensure excellent execution.
- Develop, support, and guide recurring children’s programming outside of Sunday morning, which includes a Youth transition ministry program and potential mid-week opportunities for children.
- Other Sunday morning programming for children as needed, including the coordination of special events for children.
- Lead Chapel for ORUMC Weekday School children once per week and help minister to and draw these children and their families into ORUMC life.
- Plan, organize, and execute frequent Family Ministry events reaching new and existing families.
- Creatively utilize multiple approaches to reach children with various learning styles, keep the curriculum engaging and interesting, and integrate the various children and family ministries into a cohesive plan.
- Responsibility and accountability for the Safe Sanctuary program.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Effectively organize lay servants schedule, communicate roles and responsibilities of lay servants, and provide training, coaching, and assistance.
- Work closely with the Associate Pastor, other staff, and appropriate Committees on program and curriculum and effectively communicate those with congregation.
- Be present on Sunday mornings actively participating in the needs of our children and engaging with their families.
- Manage and administer the resources and budget(s) for the programs assigned.
- Attend continuing education events based on development plans and as recommended by the Associate Pastor.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Minimum of a four year college degree applicable to the position.
- Experience growing a children’s program preferred.
- Experience working with children and an excitement and passion for children’s ministries and sharing the love of Christ. Experience working with special needs children desirable.
- Excellent organization and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building relationships with children and their families.
- Ability to work effectively and graciously with other staff and lay servants demonstrating flexibility, approachability, and openness.
- Proficient with office equipment and computers.
More information and application at http://www.oakridgeumc.org/jobs