Wesley United Methodist Church at Frederica, Saint Simons Island, GA is seeking an Organist/Music Associate.
Purpose: To glorify God and to nurture faith within the congregation and community by working
with the Director of Music and Worship to plan and execute a comprehensive ministry
of music, worship, and arts involving all age groups in the church. Specifically, by
providing working as a collaborative artist to provide rehearsal and performance
accompaniment and/or directorship for the music ensembles of Wesley church; playing
the organ for all services; concertizing; and working to support music in the community
through music ministry in a variety of forms.
Hours: Part-time job (20 hours +/- per week)
Usual number of Sunday services: 2
Number of other weekly services: 0
Number of annual occasional services: 6
Usual total number of weekly rehearsals this musician will be directly involved with: 5
Adult: 3 Youth: 0
Children: As needed Handbell: 2 Instrumentalists: 1
Reports to: The Organist/Music Associate reports to and is under the supervision of the Director of Music
and Worship. All staff are ultimately under the supervision of the Senior Pastor and relate
to the Staff Parish Relations Committee, which is responsible for all church staffing
decisions in consultation with the Senior Pastor (hiring/firing/salaries, etc.).
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
Worship Planning and Participation
- Work under direction of the Director of Music and Worship in worship planning.
- Work with the Director of Music and Worship to provide music for all sanctuary services.
- Select and perform a variety liturgically appropriate, high caliber organ literature for all traditional services
- Assist in the selection of hymns, anthems, etc., for Sunday worship
- Work to synergize with the Director of Music and Worship to design creative worship and music experiences
- Support and lead congregational singing from the organ with an emphasis on creative and vibrant expressions of worship through music
- Participate in various worship services throughout the year and cooperate in planning services.
(Ash Wednesday, Holy Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, community services, etc.)
- Provide organ/piano music for all weddings and funerals held at the church, consulting with wedding couples or families as requested. For these services the organist will receive an additional fee as specified by the organist through the church policy (currently $400 per wedding). The services of another organist may be used with the permission of the regular organist. (NB: St. Simons Island is a major destination wedding location; Wesley hosts 10-15+ weddings per year, which can serve to augment the regular pay of this position by an estimated $4,000-6,000 annually.) Memorial Services are offered free of charge to church members, but honorariums are often given.
Music/Arts Education and Enrichment:
- Collaborate with Director of Music and other related staff to encourage, organize, develop, expand, and elevate Music/Arts education, enrichment, and opportunities at Wesley, including beginning new ensembles and music/arts experiences as guided by the interests of the candidate
- Support community music/arts
- Assist all assigned ensembles through rehearsal accompaniment, acting as a collaborative artist and seeking to bring the highest caliber of musicality to the groups we have at Wesley
- Assist in recruiting, motivating, and leading in all aspects of sacred music and creative arts in the lift of the church
- Cooperate with St. Simons Island community-based organizations in music experiences and opportunities.
Accompany annual performances of Handel’s MESSIAH with orchestra, hosted at Wesley.
(This pays separately from the Wesley salary.)
2. Accompany the community chorus in residence at Wesley (unpaid).
- New Ensembles we would like to offer:
Youth Choir; expanded graded Children’s Music Program (choirs, handbells/chimes, Orff instruments); instrumental ensembles (i.e. woodwinds, brass, strings, recorders); additional adult vocal ensembles (Chamber Choir, small ensembles, early service choir, etc.)
- Offer regular organ concerts at Wesley (at least one concert annually)
- Work with the Director of Music to assist in the comprehensive administration of the Music Ministry at Wesley.
- In collaboration with the Director of Music, oversee regular maintenance for the organ and pianos
QUALITIES NEEDED BY THE CANDIDATE:
- Must feel called by God to the ministry of sacred music through organ performance and working as a collaborative artist, and feel led to work in a church environment.
- Must demonstrate a capability, willingness, and desire to actively participate in the life and ministry of the church
- Must be a team player with other program staff persons, demonstrating flexibility in all areas of ministry. Must be able to integrate into the culture of Wesley UMC at Frederica and bring value to the congregation and staff. Wesley has a team approach to ministry and worship planning.
- Must be a self-starter, a good communicator, friendly, engaging.
- Must be proficient in organ technique, musicianship, and a supportive accompanist and collaborative artist; knowledgeable and experienced in playing for religious, traditional, and ecumenical worship services.
- Must be of excellent moral character.
- Must have experience planning and coordinating music appropriate to the liturgical calendar and the scripture texts/sermon of the pastor.
- Must desire to maintain high levels of personal music and performance skills.
- Must be able to contribute to, and implement, the vision for music and the arts at Wesley, seeking to synergize with the Director of Music to form a collaborative team responsible for the total Music and Worship program at Wesley.
- A./B.M. in Music (organ emphasis); or currently enrolled in a Music Degree program with keyboard or organ emphasis; or, at a minimum, significant experience
- Significant experience as a church organist/accompanist
- Submit to criminal background check for Safe Sanctuaries policy and abide by South Georgia United Methodist Church Sexual Ethics Standards (provided upon request)
ADDITONAL ACHIEVEMENTS / ABILITIES PREFERRED:
- Master’s Degree in Organ and/or Sacred Music (M.M. or M.S.M)
- Music Director experience (choral ensembles, handbells, instrumental, or children)
- Experience in administration of a Church Music Program
- Experience in administration of a Concert Series
- Significant performance ability and experience
- Equally gifted in piano as well as organ
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The Salary is commensurate with experience, qualifications, and job assignments. Additionally, as a resort area church, we host 10-15+ weddings per year, which can serve as additional income for the organist ($4,000-6,000). Other income opportunities are plentiful in our community, as well.
Other benefits include, Books/Music Allowance, Continuing Education Funds, and Professional Memberships Allowance.
OVERVIEW OF THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE:
We are seeking a high caliber organist/accompanist who can assist in taking the musical components of our worship and arts programs to the next level. The position and responsibilities are ultimately flexible to the qualified candidate.
The most qualified candidate will be an outstanding organist with wonderful accompanying and service playing skills, including service improvisation and creative hymn playing. In addition to great playing skills, the candidate will be an organized administrator, and willing to work as a strong collaborative partner with the Director of Music and Worship, the clergy of the church, and with its members with the goal of elevating the worship experience at Wesley through the arts and music program.
Application: Reviews will begin on a rolling basis and continue until a candidate has been selected. Ideal employment start date is Summer/Fall 2017.
Questions and Submissions:
APPLICATION PACKAGE REQUIREMENTS
- Detailed resume/CV
- List of references, both professional and personal
- CD/DVD/Youtube video, etc. reflective of candidate’s work
(e.g., audio/video of rehearsals, services, concerts, etc.)
Please include at least one entire worship service within the last 6 months, as an example of service playing abilities
- Brief statement on philosophy of worship and music ministry
- Representative repertoire list from, at least, the last 12 months