Memorial UMC in Kannapolis is seeking a Music Director/Worship Leader to help the church’s musicians and congregation grow as disciples of Jesus Christ through worship and music. This is a part-time position. (Please see a complete description of the position below.) If interested, please send resume and cover letter to Staff/Parish Relations Committee chairperson Beth Harrison at email@example.com.
Position Description: The work of the Director of Music/Worship Leader is to help our musicians and our congregation grow as disciples of Jesus Christ through worship and music and to magnify the greatness of God in Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit by skillfully combining God’s Word with music, thereby motivating the gathered church to proclaim the gospel and cherish God’s presence.
General Staff Responsibilities:
- Cultivate a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ and be committed to constantly growing the relationship deeper.
- Make disciples in your area of ministry.
- Live by and support the mission and ministry of Memorial United Methodist through your “prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness” as laid out in the Membership Covenant.
- Be involved (and involve your team) in our church’s missions and outreach programs.
- Manage budget/financial affairs of ministry area with highest integrity and care to ensure entrusted funds are not mishandled, accidentally or otherwise.
- Work together as a team with other staff members.
- Abide by and enforce the Safe Sanctuary policies of the church.
- Participate in leadership training and professional growth opportunities.
- Have a personal/family life that upholds the highest values of the Christian faith and does not detract for one’s own ministry or the ministry of the church.
- Perform whatever tasks assigned by the Pastor which are needed to fulfill the church’s goals and advance the work of the Kingdom of God.
Specific Responsibilities of the Music Director/Worship Leader
- Bring out the very best in all who participate in our music ministry by way of a commitment to practice, encouragement, and mentoring where needed.
- In cooperation with the Pastor, select and provide at least one selection of special music for each weekly worship service.
- Make clear progress within 6 months of being hired toward bringing additional energy to the worship services by way of 1) broadening the selection of congregational songs to include more contemporary and up-beat songs; 2) reshaping our preludes, postludes, and offertories to include more contemporary, familiar, and up-beat songs; 3) recruiting individuals and groups within the congregation to perform in addition to the choir on a more regular basis (at least twice each month); 4) bringing outside music resources into the worship services at least twice each year.
- Provide, enhance and maintain a list on the church computer of all possible contemporary and up-beat congregational songs for the Pastor’s use.
- Work in cooperation with our Children/Youth Program to 1) plan at least one youth/children-led worship service per year; 2) plan and conduct the musical component of our annual Christmas program; and 3) plan and conduct the musical component of Vacation Bible School.
- Assist in the planning and leading of at least one laity-led worship service each year.
- Respond to special seasons in the church (Easter and Christmas) with extra attention to the selection and quality of music offered in the services.
- Successfully recruit new participants for the music program, including the choir, soloists, and instrumentalists.
- Evaluate and implement (if and where possible) “Song Select” resources from CCLI within 6 months of being hired.
- Continue to enhance the choir’s presence and leadership during congregational songs.
- Meet with SPRC periodically to update progress.