The Haywood Street Congregation in Asheville, NC is seeking a Lead Storyteller
Overview: The Lead Storyteller will support staff and Board in implementing the organization’s strategic communications plan. He/she will develop relationships with community members to be able to effectively tell the story of the Downtown Welcome Table, Haywood Street Respite and other Haywood Street programs through web and print communications. He/she will support the unique organizational culture, which places a high value on leadership and involvement from individuals who are experiencing homelessness or struggling in poverty in all aspects of the organization’s work.
This is a part-time, 20 hr/week position.
Reports to: Executive Director
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that HSC website and social media platforms are updated frequently with relevant, interesting and accurate content.
- Prepare impact stories and statistics for appeal letters, partner update letters and an annual report.
- Oversee audio/video production and live ministry feed to YouTube weekly.
- Maintain the website.
- Reach out to companions (volunteers) who express interest and skills related to marketing and/or communications and engage them in the organization’s communication effort.
- Recruit, train, and equip companions to fulfill certain communication functions.
- Update bulletin boards around campus as needed.
- Design and distribute flyers to public housing neighborhoods and partner organizations to help promote Haywood Street Congregation ministries and programs.
- Assist with production of weekly e-newsletter for companions and monthly e-newsletter for partner churches.
- Ensure that communications align with and support the organization’s development effort.
- Serve as project manager for planned work with Atlas Branding in 2017 (Brand and logo development, website redesign).
- Identify and track insightful metrics to evaluate the communication strategy and efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS or BA in Communications or English OR equivalent education and experience
- Proficiency in website content management, social media tools, and HTML-based email design
- 3+ years communications, writing, web management or similar experience
- Thorough understanding and acceptance of the Haywood Street Congregation mission and vision
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a diverse community and appreciate different perspectives
- Ability to learn additional software quickly
- Ability to work independently
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours (some evenings and weekends)
Please send resume with cover letter and writing sample by December 19th to:
Haywood Street Congregation
PO Box 2982
Asheville, NC 28802