Apex UMC in Apex, NC is seeking a full-time Director of Youth Ministries who can lead our youth to experience a depth of faith in Jesus, as well as lead and equip a team of parents, volunteers, and paid staff to create an exciting and welcoming faith community.
The Director of Student Ministries is responsible for guiding all aspects of student ministries at the Apex campus, with additional responsibilities across the Family of Faith Communities, to primarily include passionate care and nurturing of the faith formation of students; and partnering with the Discipleship team to shape an age-appropriate and consistent cradle-to-grave discipleship approach across the faith communities as well as equip parents to be the primary shepherds for the spiritual formation of their children. The Director of Youth Ministries will report to the Apex Campus Pastor and will supervise the part-time Coordinator of Student Ministries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and lead the student disciple-making activities for middle school and high youth for the Apex campus.
- Lead the Apex campus student ministries as follows:
- Invite, equip, coach and utilize teams of volunteers to lead and serve student ministries
- Work with student ministry leaders to continuously evaluate and refine student ministries
- Plan and lead regularly scheduled youth leaders meetings.
- Continually explore and publicize the student ministries of the church and show how lives are being transformed by these ministries.
- Partner with Missions leaders to develop student mission activities.
- Secure leaders to lead student ministries and provide them with direction and training for their ministry.
- Carry out additional responsibilities across the Family of Faith Communities as follows:
- Work with faith community leaders to standardize the elements of student ministries across the faith communities and customize elements as needed.
- Lead Family of Faith Communities region-wide activities, including Apex Outreach Service Project (AOSP), Pilgrimage, Confirmation, Youth Engaged in Service (YES!), and other events and trainings where appropriate.
- Pour self and energy into the student leaders so that they become disciples of Christ and so that they can help all those on their ministry teams to become disciples of Christ.
- Continuously invite and equip parents to shape the faith formation of their children. Work with Family Ministries team so our discipleship strategy is consistently implemented with children and students.
- Work with Family Ministries team and faith community pastors to prepare and lead confirmation and actively participate in Family Ministries team.
- Coordinate and lead student leader/development ministry (e.g., internships, Student Leadership team) and constantly seek ways for students to begin serving younger youth/children and in the overall ministries and worship of the church.
- Manage social media and communications for the youth ministry.
- Provide counseling support for students and parents referring to professionals as needed in partnership with Congregational Care.
- Work with the Apex Campus Pastor to develop and manage the budget for student ministries.
- Participate in Family Ministries team meetings, All Staff meetings, and regular meetings of the Apex staff team.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuaries policy is enforced for every activity involving students.
- Participate in training events to keep student ministry skills honed to an ever-changing culture.
- Pray regularly and actively develop one’s personal faith
- Sense God’s calling to this ministry and be eager to use one’s gifts and talents to serve Christ
- Commit to invite and equip laity to serve in this ministry area
- Bachelor’s degree and have a minimum of three years relevant work experience – required.
- Passion for helping students to mature to the FULL stature of Christ utilizing a relevant and cutting-edge discipleship strategy – required.
- Understanding of student development, current in teaching techniques and student ministry approaches – required.
- Strong organizational skills, experience working in and building teams – required.
- Effective interpersonal skills, highly personable and engaging communicator who is able to hold students’ attention in large group setting – required.
- Self-starter and innovator who is willing to do what it takes to connect with and nurture students – required.
- Ability to mobilize and equip volunteers/staff with gifts for student ministry – required.
- Willingness to continually learn and refine the church’s discipleship methods – required.
- Supervisory experience – preferred.
- Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously – preferred.
- Computer skills – excellent skills with internet social media, familiarity with Microsoft Office products, willingness to learn and utilize church’s ACS software systems – preferred.
All inquiries and resumes can be sent to email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed upon receipt and the job will remain open until filled.