Bethlehem UMC in Climax, NC seeks a Director of Youth Ministries.
Bethlehem United Methodist Church
6103 Appomattox Road
Climax, NC 27233
STATUS: Part Time
HOURS: 10-20 hours per week
General Purpose of Position:
To build and nurture young Christian disciples by coordinating all youth ministry events (Bible studies, mission trips, recreational activities) and serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor, in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the DYM’s performance. The DYM will be responsible and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, informed by the United Methodist Guidelines for Youth Ministries, local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Attend and lead Sunday afternoon Bible Study, Tuesday night Bible Study, and all special events.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Plan and attend Carolina Cross Connection trip and Camp Tekoa.
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Complete criminal background checks for all adults working with youth
- Adhere to the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church’s “Safe Sanctuary Policy” and be familiar with it
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
- Must be an avid follower of Jesus Christ and affirm United Methodist Doctrine.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is encouraged, though not required. Some post-high school education is required.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.