Assurance UMC – Huntersville, NC is seeking a Director of Youth Discipleship
25-35 hours a week (average 30)
Salary range $30K (slightly adjustable)
Objective – To lead a youth ministry of youth and adult youth leaders that “GROWS Disciples of Jesus Christ that GO serve Christ in the world.”
Our ideal candidate would be personable, organized, fluent in various methods of communication and would be willing and able to develop servant leaders.
Average group size today, depending on activity, would be anywhere from 25-60.
Tasks associated with the objective:
- Be a trustworthy and Christ centered figure in the lives of our youth and to be available to help guide them in their faith and involved in their lives by being available to them in a variety of ways.
- Coordinate, facilitate and help execute age appropriate experiences that help youth Growing in Spirit, Serving and Sharing that currently comprise of Sunday evening programming (One:8), mid-week Bible Study (Wednesday evenings), and Youth Sunday School (11am) .
- To oversee and help implement the Teen Pilgrimage Ministry (Assurance’s version of Confirmation).
- To communicate the happenings of the youth ministry to those directly impacted by the ministry and the larger Assurance community using various communication methods (social media, myAssurance (Church Community Builder), email, text, phone calls, and coordinating with Assurance’s Director of Communications).
- Work directly with the YLT (Youth Leadership Team) to plan a youth calendar 6-9 months in advance of programming and develop and engage youth and adult leaders in every aspect of the ministry.
- Review and present to the Youth Counselors and YLT curriculum options for our Youth Ministry.
- Lead and facilitate the Youth Ministry plans for special events like Youth Sunday, 30-Hour Famine, Back-to-School Bash, some weekend serving opportunities, Summer Mission Trips (one for senior high and one called Middle School Mission Mania), and a Spring Retreat.
- Help the Youth Ministry lead one major fundraiser per year and support other church-wide fundraisers throughout the year.
- Lead, recruit and develop a team of adult volunteer servants that work with the YLT (Youth Leadership Team) to be the leadership of this ministry. They will help teach, lead, chaperone, etc. with guidance and direction from the Director of Youth Discipleship. Meetings with them at least quarterly will be essential.
- Help manage and account for the budgeted monies for youth ministry from the General Operating Fund, Mission and Ministry Fund and individual payments for events (most of this is done online now).
- Be a champion for Safe Sanctuary, so that our adults will feel supported, and our youth will find themselves in a safe environment where growing in faith is a joy (this includes facilitating paperwork for Safe Sanctuary, holding occasional trainings, processing medical release forms for youth, etc.).
- Help us dream about ways that our youth ministry can grow and touch the lives of more and more youth, all the while helping existing youth grow deeper in their faith.
If you are interested in this position, or have any questions, you can send your resume and/or questions to Pastor Lonnie Pittman at firstname.lastname@example.org.