Director of Student Ministries, St. Paul United Methodist Church, 2000 Douglass Blvd. Louisville, KY 40205
St. Paul United Methodist Church is seeking a Director of Student Ministries. The part-time Director of Student Ministries will have a passion for working with students and their families, and helping all to embody the mission of St. Paul UMC as a place where Christians “engage head, hearts, and hands in love of God and others.” Through relational ministries such as: worship, small and large gatherings, missional opportunities, and social events, the Director of Student Ministries will develop, schedule, and supervise the full range of ministries related to students and their families.
Description of Student Ministries: The Student Ministries of St. Paul UMC include students in 5th -12th grade and the Barnabas Ministry for college students. The Tween Ministry is for students in 5th and 6th grade. The Youth Ministry is for students in 7-12th grade.
Essential Functions of the position
- Design, implement, and continue to build upon an existing student ministry programs that integrate relationship building, worship, spiritual formation, and missional opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Youth and Tween Ministry Teams to develop opportunities for youth ministries.
- Develop and train students and adult leaders who wish to participate in the planning and execution of student and church-wide ministries.
- Collaborate with church staff and key lay leaders to integrate the student ministry with the overall life of the church.
- Provide oversight and support for Wednesday night gatherings and Sunday morning middle school and high school classes.
- Maintain a list of college students and mentors/sponsors for the Barnabas Ministry.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of the student ministries areas budget.
- Maintain adequate and appropriate communication with students, parents, and the church regarding student ministries. Communicate with the congregation and community via church media (i.e. bulletin, website, The Tower, etc.) and other avenues. Use social media and technology effectively and appropriately.
Core Competencies of the position
Ministry planning: Demonstrate abilities to plan and coordinate diverse ministry opportunities including: small group studies, large group gatherings, retreats, missional opportunities, and fellowship and social events. Express a vision for the student ministries, work to bring others alongside the vision, and maintain a commitment of striving towards the vision.
Interpersonal Skills & Volunteer Management: Demonstrate enthusiasm and initiative when interacting with the staff, congregation, and community at-large. Possess the ability to identify and solve problems, handle conflict, and engage in honest conversation. Provide direction, gain commitment, facilitate change, and achieve results through the efficient, creative, and responsible use of volunteers. Work well with church staff, congregation members, and volunteers. Ability to manage and motivate volunteers. Amenable to supervision.
Communication skills: Possess the ability to express thoughts and feelings openly, authentically, and theologically. Use social media and technology effectively and appropriately. Willing to communicate with youth, parents, and the congregation via church media (i.e. bulletin, website, The Tower, etc.) and other avenues. Possess the ability to identify and solve problems, handling of conflict, and engage in honest conversation.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others. Practice direct, honest, and transparent communication. Keep confidences. Admit mistakes. Operate with no hidden agendas. Respond to situations with constancy and reliability.
Administrative skills: Understands basic budgeting and planning. Willing to provide oversight of youth budget including the annual Youth Futures fundraising campaign. Familiar with and adhere to Safe Sanctuaries policies. Amenable to bi-weekly supervision.
Technology: Competent with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.). Willing to learn and engage any unfamiliar technologies such as: Shelby Systems, EventU, Constant Contact, and others.
Goals of the position
St. Paul United Methodist Church understands that this job description provides the essential functions and core competencies of the Director of Youth Ministry. This document does not offer an exact list of events, schedule, and programs the Director of Youth Ministries must follow. Instead, specific events, programs, and goals will be established by the Director of Youth Ministry in conversation with the St. Paul church staff.
A successful candidate will have:
- Passion for walking alongside young persons in their faith journeys
- Vision for the growth of students’ faith, and for the growth of the student ministries
- Bachelor’s degree required; Religious studies or further theological education preferred
- Experience leading and/or working with student ministries
- Agree to a background check
Report: Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Personnel Team
Hours/Salary: Part-time exempt; 30 hours per week; salary commensurate with experience
Office Space: Office space with computer provided in Family Life Center
Job Posting Dates: After review and interview, start date is flexible.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to Rev. David Garvin via email/postal mail:
Rev. David Garvin
St. Paul United Methodist Church
2000 Douglass Blvd.
Louisville, KY 40205
For more information about our church and its ministries, please visit the church’s website.