Etowah United Methodist Church in Etowah NC is searching for a part-time Director of Senior Ministries and Spiritual Formation.
STATUS: Part-time, Hourly (8-16 hours weekly)
BENEFITS: Per EUMC Personnel Policy
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work in concert with the Senior Pastor and staff to achieve the mission of EUMC, which is “to equip disciples to go lead others to Christ.”
SUPERVISION: Reports to the Senior Pastor. The Staff Parish Relations Committee provides an annual evaluation of the Director’s performance.
The Director of Senior Ministries and Spiritual Formation sets the strategy for developing and leading both a vibrant, comprehensive ministry program for seniors and opportunities for spiritual formation. Elements of such a program include, but are not limited to: development and execution of Spiritual Formation (Nurture) opportunities, and Senior Care/Visitation.
1. Understand that as a member of the church staff you are often someone’s first impression of our church.
2. A Christ-centered life is essential for all staff members in being Christ to others.
1. The director demonstrates a Christ-centered approach to ministry and should have a clear sense of his/her Christian walk.
2. The director places a strong emphasis on cultivating relationships with laity in order to carry out the functions of this role. The director will serve as an advocate for all those in his/her care.
3. The director makes a strong commitment of time, energy, and creativity to our senior members.
4. The director will connect senior ministry and spiritual formation opportunities to the church and the surrounding community.
5. The director will use effective means of communication to promote the EUMC Senior Care and Spiritual Formation Ministries program to the church and community. These include but are not limited to: the church web site, church bulletins, roadside signage, bulletin boards, congregational presentations, Facebook, other social media outlets, and any other appropriate means at his/her disposal.
6. The director will guide and assist lay volunteers whose interests lie in this area of ministry.
7. The director will participate in other activities as needed and directed by the Senior Pastor, the director’s immediate supervisor.
1. Some college experience is preferred, especially in the areas of senior care and spiritual formation.
2. Is a self-starter, who demonstrates high levels of initiative, motivation, and shares excitement.
3. Experience in United Methodist principles and practice, especially in the direction of seniors and spiritual formation groups also is preferred.
4. Sees ministry to seniors and spiritual formation as an integral part of the church.
5. Shares an excitement and passion for making Christian disciples.
6. Demonstrates openness, flexibility, and approachability in leadership style.
7. Exhibits a comfort level in pastoral/counseling roles; is adept in initiating and cultivating relationships with various age groups, staff, and volunteers.
8. Possesses good organization, communication, and time management skills with attention to detail and timely completion of assigned tasks.
9. Able to earn the trust and goodwill of others through word and action.
1. Conduct all business with integrity, confidentiality, and in a professional manner.
2. Be supportive of our church’s goals, mission, and programs.
3. Mesh well with church staff.
4. Be sensitive to needs and requests from church members and have a willingness to overcome obstacles and interruptions to achieve desired results.
5. Be flexible and gracious while pursuing excellence in a church environment.
The following skills are frequently utilized to great effect in the modern church. Applicant’s proficiency in any or all of these areas will be taken into account as a significant part of the hiring process. These attributes include:
- Basic competency in computer functions (i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ease in securing a substitute in one’s absence.
- Ability to help plan church activities around a common theme/metaphor.
- Assistance with worship planning (including occasional preaching opportunities) if/as needed.
- Relate well with a multi-generational congregation.
Summary: A successful Director of Senior Ministries and Spiritual Formation at Etowah United Methodist Church will be a well-rounded, Christ-centered, dynamic individual, who is passionate about sharing Christ in creative, innovative ways with our church family.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Dr. David A. Cook, Jr. at email@example.com.