Upper New York Conference is seeking a Director of Missional Engagement
Position Title: Director of Missional Engagement
Classification: Full-Time Exempt (Supervisory/Professional)
Purpose: The Director oversees the planning, management, and evaluation of the mission and operations of the Upper New York Conference Missional Engagement ministry to include Mission Central HUB (MCH), UNY Volunteers in Mission, and UNY Disaster Response.
Accountability: This position reports to the Director of Connectional Ministries.
- Plan, lead and evaluate the work of Missional Engagement to fulfill its core tasks of Mission Education, Mission Outreach, and Disaster Response.
- Coordinate and engage with other conference ministry areas in the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Build partnerships with other governmental, denominational, ecumenical, interfaith, non-profit and community-based organizations and initiatives.
- Develop and administer operational policies, procedures and practices related to the ministries, in consultation with the Missional Engagement Advisory Committee and in keeping with applicable law and denominational/conference policies.
- Support and guide the work of the Missional Engagement Advisory Committee.
- Serve as program liaison to staff and conference leadership teams as needed.
- Plan, manage and evaluate the daily functions and operation of the Mission Central HUB (MCH) and related ministries.
- Provide 24 hour on-call support for the care and use of the MCH space at The United Methodist Center.
- Facilitate off-hour emergency program response as needed.
- Supervise and support staff and volunteers assigned to the ministry.
- Develop budgets, oversee spending plans and promote financial giving to the Mission Central HUB (MCH) and related ministries.
- Serve as primary staff support to the conference’s Disaster Response and Volunteers in Mission ministry teams.
- Inform, equip and inspire conference leaders, congregations and the wider public on the purpose, needs, activities and accomplishments of Missional Engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Diploma from a recognized and accredited high school program required.
- Related work/life experience in non-profit, business, mission outreach, working with volunteers, and material supplies experience required.
- Current NYS Driver’s License required
- Graduation from accredited college or university with at least a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Certified competency in CPR and AED preferred
Competencies Required by the Job:
- Commitment to offering gracious hospitality to colleagues, volunteers and clients.
- Excellent administrative skills in the areas of visioning, planning, implementation, control, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability for financial management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to engage persons of diverse backgrounds in a variety of settings.
- Ability to hire/recruit, supervise and manage staff and volunteers.
- Facility with Microsoft Windows Office suite programs, basic accounting software, and social media resources.
- Knowledge and ability to learn and demonstrate the vision, purpose, structure, core values and ministry priorities of the Upper New York Annual Conference and The United Methodist Church.
- Experience in material/donations management, mission outreach teams, disaster response.
- Job requires extensive walking and ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Work is carried out without daily supervision; ability to self-motivate and self-manage work according to shifting priorities is required.
- Work is performed in numerous settings, office, warehouse, and off site.
- Ability and commitment to work weekend and evening hours as needed.
- Travel throughout conference area
In addition to reference checks, background checks will be required for this position.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
Benefits include health insurance, vacation and pension