- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 3 years
- Apply at: christgreensboro.org/careers
- Application Deadline: May 7, 2017
Christ United Methodist Church is a thriving church of more than 2300 members in Greensboro, NC. Christ Church is known for an excellent worship arts ministry, including both traditional liturgical worship and passionate contemporary worship. We currently have two adult choirs, a youth choir, three children’s choirs, a baby music program, and three handbell choirs, in addition to a number of seasonal choirs.
Because of the retirements of two longtime staff, we are building our worship arts team. As we do so, Christ Church is seeking a part-time staff person who would assume leadership of either Handbells or Children’s Music, along with a full-time Organist who would also assume leadership of either Handbells or Children’s Music. Configuration is dependent upon the interests and abilities of the candidates for the different positions. The part-time Director of Handbells position is described below.
HANDBELLS & INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC
- Coordinate and direct handbell choirs, including three adult choirs and seasonal youth choirs
- Manage handbell music library
- Oversee communications with choirs and recruitment of new ringers
- Recruit and coordinate instrumentalists for worship services and special events
- Develop and direct instrumental ensembles as needed
- Work with other worship and pastoral staff members to incorporate handbell choirs and instrumentalists into regular and occasional worship services and special events
- Oversee routine maintenance of five octaves of Malmark handbells, four octaves of Malmark handchimes, and related equipment
- Maintain regular office hours and availability to the congregation as related to the position
- Attend staff meetings and other administrative meetings, as needed
- Experience in directing handbell choirs in a local church
- Familiarity with a wide range of handbell repertoire and current trends
- Familiarity with a wide range of handbell techniques
- A sense of calling to worship leadership in a local church
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a part of a staff team
Compensation commensurate with level of education and experience. Some benefits are available for part-time employees, including paid vacation and sick leave.