MILLS RIVER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 137 Old Turnpike Road, Mills River, NC 28759 seeks a Contemporary Worship Leader
REPORTS TO: Director of Music
STATUS: Part-time (15-20 hours/week), salaried
Working with the pastors, musicians and other staff members, the Contemporary Worship Leader shall coordinate, plan, and lead the contemporary worship service. An essential part of this role will be dreaming, building, and implementing a vision for the 9am service that reaches people in and outside the church.
- To plan music for weekly contemporary worship service, and other special events.
- To lead a creative vision and build a team for the growth, functioning, and reimagining of the contemporary service.
- To lead weekly rehearsal of band members and singers.
- To regularly communicate with band members, clergy, and staff regarding song selection, rehearsals and other pertinent items.
- To recruit, enlist, and encourage participation from congregational members in the contemporary worship service.
- To consult with the Director of Music, and oversee a budget for the contemporary worship service.
- To select, maintain, and expand a music library for contemporary worship.
- To have proficiency in email and social media.
- The Contemporary Worship Leader must have an understanding of worship in Mainline/United Methodist traditions.
- The Contemporary Worship Leader must have strong interpersonal skills with people of all ages and abilities.
- The Contemporary Worship Leader must have vocal musical ability, the capability to read music, and playing one or more instruments.
- Musical education preferred.
- Experience leading and/or participating in a contemporary worship band.
- Experience in recruiting volunteer musicians and worship leaders (non-staff).
- Experience creating, implementing, or being part of building a contemporary worship service.
- Annual Safe Sanctuary training
- Participation in staff planning retreats
- Weekly attendance at staff meetings
- Participate in one continuing education event annually to increase understanding, skills and enthusiasm for this work
- Annual review with the Sr. Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Applicants are asked to send:
- Contact information for 3 referrals including two professional references and 1 personal (not to include family members)
- Your contact information
- A brief statement of vocational call
Please submit your materials by email or USPS to:
Rev. Jeff McCumber, Associate Pastor
137 Old Turnpike Rd.
Mills, River, NC 28759